Sustainable design, but not as we know it?
Going beyond ticking boxes, complying with regulations or keeping up with the latest initiatives, ecological development guru Bill Reed uproots just about everything we think we know about ‘green’ and asks whether we are really delving deeply enough
The presentation, given by Bill Reed was entitled:
From Sustainability through Regeneration: Whole and Living System Design
It was given at an event called:
It was hosted by the Pittsburgh Green Building Alliance on November 4, 2010.
Here are some details of Bill’s background:
An internationally recognized proponent and practitioner in sustainability and regeneration Bill is a principal in Delving Deeper, the Integrative Design Collaborative and Regenesis, Inc, – consulting organizations working to lift green building and community planning into designs that are fully integrated and evolving with living systems. His work centers on creating the framework for and managing an integrative, whole-systems design process. The objective: to improve the overall quality of the physical, social and spiritual life of our living places and therefore the planet.
- Founding Board Member of the US Green Building Council
- Co-author with the Seven Group: The Integrative Design Guide to Green Building: redefining the practice of sustainability
- Co-chair of the LEED Technical Committee from its inception in 1994 through 2003
- Served on the national executive committee of the AIA (American Institute of Architects) Committee On The Environment
- Chair of the ANSI Committee on Whole System Integration – the Integrative Design and Construction Process
- Served as a NESEA Board member
- LEED Faculty
- Advisory Board – Environmental Building News
- Serves on the board of CitiLog
Bill is a planning consultant, design process facilitator, and lecturer. He has participated in over 300 presentations and workshops relating to Sustainable and Regenerative Design.
He has consulted on over two hundred green design commissions and dozens of LEED projects – achieving many certifications – the majority Gold and Platinum. He is a guest lecturer at Universities from Harvard and MIT to the University of British Columbia.
His clients range from New York City Department of Design and Construction, U.S. General Services Administration, Loreto Bay, Baja, Mexico, Sidwell Friends School, US Green Building Council, Genzyme Corporation, Teknion, LLC, the Willow School, various city planning agencies on the East and West coast, and many private development companies in the US, Canada, and Mexico.